Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Dizzy Miss Lizzie - R.M. Clark R.M. Clark's debut middle grade novel, Dizzy Miss Lizzie features a 13-year-old heroine, Kasey Madrid, who moves to a new house with her father and stepmother only to discover what appears to be a ghost in her basement: a 19th-century girl named Elizabeth Bellows who was alleged to have committed a heinous crime. Kasey makes friends with Lizzie while researching Lizzie's story, and soon discovers, along with one of her friends, that there may be more to Lizzie's story than people have thought.Dizzy Miss Lizzie is an engaging read reminiscent of my favorite mysteries from my own middle-grade years: the Trixie Belden books. Kasey isn't afraid of much, and is willing to do just about anything to solve the mystery and clear Lizzie's name. If there's a paranormal aspect to add to the mystery, all the better. The mysteries I read at that age feel outdated now, and with Kasey's remarried father and ability to research things online, R.M. Clark has created a new heroine for modern kids to enjoy: finally, one for girls that's contemporary and doesn't involve a focus on stereotypical "girl" things.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell