Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Ten - Gretchen McNeil My daughter was a huge fan of Gretchen McNeil's Possess, so when a friend sent along an advance copy of her upcoming book Ten, Sissy was over the moon, so much so that she devoured the book before I had a chance to read it. This usually doesn't bode well for us, because she has a hard time keeping spoilers to herself, but for once, she managed. Meg and Minnie are best friends, and invited to what could be the party of the year. After something happened that's revealed during the course of the story, Minnie gave up her popularity to side with Meg, and this could be Minnie's chance to regain her popularity. Meg isn't so sure about the party on a remote island with no parents around, but goes along for Mimi's sake.Once there, the two discover the party's hostess has been delayed, and find themselves with eight others they've never met before, all somehow connected. Over the course of a weekend, the partygoers start turning up dead, and it's up to Meg to sort out what's happening and why. In a Freaky Friday type of generation swap, my daughter and I had mixed opinions on the book. I was left guessing until the very end, and was sufficiently creeped out enough to only want to read the book during the day. Sissy, on the other hand, is a precocious reader who loves used bookstores, and has read through a good portion of Agatha Christie. She quickly realized the plot's similarities to And Then There Were None, and guessed the book's ending long before the book ended (and long before I did). While I doubt there are many teens and pre-teens who've read Christie, Sissy and I agreed to split the difference on the review. She loved the modern take and execution, but was disappointed she could figure it out so easily. I, on the other hand, was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell