Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
I Am Not Myself These Days: A Memoir - Josh Kilmer-Purcell I came to Josh Kilmer-Purcell's memoir I Am Not Myself These Days backwards, first reading his later memoir The Bucolic Plague : How Two Manhattanites Became Gentleman Farmers: An Unconventional Memoir, then seeing him and his partner on the reality show The Amazing Race and finally reading his first memoir, where he details his former life as a NYC drag queen living with a high-end male escort.Yes, you read that right. High-end male escort. And a drag queen.I could sum up the book with stories of Kilmer-Purcell's outrageous outfits involving live goldfish as his alter-ego Aquadisiac, or the book's startling opening: a prologue involving his boyfriend holding a knife to him. None of them tell the real story, however. Reading the memoirs backward gives the reader a different view of the author. You already know where he ends up. While the shock of the prologue is somewhat diluted with that knowledge, you're left even more interested. After all, how did he get from the vodka-soaked drag queen nearly killed by his drug-fueled boyfriend to where he is now?Kilmer-Purcell has a voice most writers would kill for; you feel when you are reading as if you are sitting down with your best friend and he's telling you his life story without dragging anything out. The book is a quick read, but not fluffy, and he manages to encapsulate the early '90s club scene in a way that should be familiar to those who lived it as well as understandable for those who find it bizarre and somewhat frightening. The writing is so vivid that at times I felt like I had stepped back in time and was immersed in very similar scenes to those he described (although I can honestly say I have never encountered a drunk Andy Dick in a men's room).

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell