Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls - Tellulah Darling While I know there are a lot of people out there who'd writers to stop trying to make "New Adult" happen, the sudden upswing of books available in this non-genre is growing. I received a copy of this book via NetGalley for review, and was hopeful, as I've enjoyed quite a few books in the "New Adult" non-category, and was hopeful this would be another.Unfortunately, Tellulah Darling's Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls isn't really a standout in the category. The premise is fairly typical of any teen movie you've seen in the past: Sam is a player, and his best friend, Ally Klinger (no, I did not make that name up) is a nice girl who just got dumped. Ally is tired of being the girl everyone treats like a doormat, so she asks good buddy Sam to teach her how to be a love 'em and leave 'em person like he is.And I'm betting right here is where I can stop explaining the plot to anyone who's ever seen a teen movie.If this happened in a young adult novel, there'd be some fade-to-black scenes, I'm sure, but since this is new adult, everyone can drink and have sex. It doesn't actually make it any different in the end. You know how this ends. I knew how this book would end from the second Sam agreed to teach Ally the ways of the player.It's probably a decent enough read; it's definitely quick, but it brings nothing new to the genre or the plot device of "player guy and nice girl best friend" you've seen/read time and time again. I didn't hate it, but I didn't much care for it, either. There was so little memorable about the book that I bet I could read it again in a year and other than having a common plot device, I'll have forgotten I ever read it.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell