Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Slammed (Slammed, #1) - Colleen Hoover I'd heard a lot of great things about Colleen Hoover's Slammed. And... I'd heard a lot of terrible things about it, as well. So when I had the opportunity to read a review copy through NetGalley, I wanted to see for myself what all the fuss was about. I didn't expect to have such a meh reaction to it, however. Layken's single mother has moved her and her brother from Texas to Ypsilanti, Michigan for a job. The first day she's there, she meets neighbor Will Cooper: handsome, mysterious, and really into slam poetry. They have an instant attraction that's quickly derailed when they discover something that will keep them apart: the big secret of the book. Slammed had a ton of potential, and its emotional resonance is definitely there at points, which is probably what led to its popularity. Still, it's an uneven roller coaster for a reader, with moments of poignant emotion and then moments of roll-your-eyes unbelievability that draw you right out of the story. The very idea that Layken and Will could have forged enough of a connection during their short time together to have sustained them through the rest of the book's drama was one of the biggest eye-rolls of them all: the insta-love trope is one of my least favorites and yet it's rolled out here with a red carpet entrance and VIP seating.Still, as I said, there are glimmers of what might have been a brilliant novel, which is frustrated time and again by such things as the pat ending, the too-convenient set-up once you see the pieces fall into place, and the over-the-top climactic moments, all of which overshadow subtle, quieter moments, which, left on their own, might have been enough to make this a really good, if not great read. As it stands, I was left with no impulse to read the book's sequel, which picks up a few months after Slammed's epilogue; I know all I need to know about these characters and based on the short excerpt placed at the end of this book, the manufactured drama of the second book will be more than I can tolerate or believe.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell