Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Girl of Nightmares - Kendare Blake My daughter and I were both huge fans of Kendare Blake's Anna Dressed in Blood and were stalking our local Barnes & Noble for the sequel, Girl of Nightmares. We managed to nab it a few days early and both tore through it in record time.At the end of Anna, Cas had to watch the ghost-girl he fell in love with descend into what was probably hell with the voodoo practitioner responsible for a rash of killings in order to save Cas and his friends' lives. Now, he's having visions of Anna being tortured, and he can't let it go to get on with his work sending ghosts to the great beyond, wherever they belong. With the help of his friends, he wants to save Anna, and he's going to need a lot of help to do it. As he starts investigating how his athame works and how he might manage to bring Anna back and save her, he discovers that nothing about his past is as it seems, and he and his friends end up in more danger as a result.Anna was a five-star book for me. It was deliciously different, took violence right to the edge of what's probably acceptable for young adult, and had a phenomenal point of view in Cas. I'm not sure whether Girl of Nightmares simply wasn't as unexpected or whether it feel just a little short of its predecessor, but both my daughter and I were a bit let down.Where Anna felt like it was packed with action, the sequel feels more sedate. It could be because Cas and his friends spend more time researching and dealing with personal issues this time out, but the "I'm on a train hurtling through crazytown" feel just wasn't there. And while I liked the ending, my daughter hated it, and was hoping there would be a third book, although Blake has said the story is only a duology.It's still a great read, but in comparison with the first book, it didn't have quite the same thrill factor.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell