Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer - Lish McBride Lish McBride's Hold Me Closer, Necromancer may have been a victim of very high expectations. Every review I'd read told me I was going to love this book. I was convinced it was going to be my favorite book of all time. When I was finally able to purchase it, I bought it and devoured it and while I liked it an awful lot, it didn't quite meet my admittedly lofty expectations. Sam is your typical slacker. He didn't go to college, is working at a fast food restaurant, and hangs out with his friends. Actually, this is the life I lived before I wised up really fast and went to college, so it might have felt all too familiar. In a down-spiraling comedy of errors, Sam runs into Douglas, a powerful necromancer who recognizes that Sam is one as well. The problem? Sam had no idea.Douglas is determined to get Sam under his thumb, and gives him one week to decide to come to work for him. Only problem is, Douglas doesn't really want to give Sam a choice, and Sam has to turn to his newly discovered friends, who get tangled up as well, to help him.The story itself could probably fall under the "New Adult" genre that literary agents and publishers seem to hate, but exists anyway. It's not quite the urban fantasy of an adult novel, but not quite young adult fiction, either. The parts of the book that are in Sam's POV are fantastic, with snappy dialogue and a fast pace. What I didn't love were the parts that switched over to Douglas' POV (and went from first person to third) which seemed to drag more. I kept wanting to skim them to get back to Sam. More Sam! I loved Sam!Overall, I liked the book a lot, and those who read a lot of urban fantasy will find plot elements that seem to be tributes of sorts to other urban fantasy stories. I'm looking forward to the next one and hope there's More! Sam!

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell