Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Supernaturally - Kiersten White After finishing Kiersten White's Paranormalcy, I dove right into its sequel, Supernaturally. In this second book, Evie, the heroine, is now free of the paranormal-tracking agency she worked for, and is living on her own with a vampire roommate. Her shapeshifter boyfriend is off at college while she still has a year of high school left, and she's realizing that maybe her fantasy of being "normal" isn't all it was cracked up to be. When she has a chance to go back to working for her old agency, she does so without telling her boyfriend, Lend, and ends up in trouble of both the paranormal and the normal variety.I expected to love Supernaturally just as much as I loved Paranormalcy, but it unfortunately falls prey to somewhat of a sophomore slump. Evie's bright, effervescent personality that was so engaging in the first book is missing for much of this book, leaving a typical, sort of whiny teenager in her stead. She's having trouble with her boyfriend. She's sneaking around behind his back. In short, she's pretty average, when what made her so much fun in the first book was that she wasn't average. She was everything that wasn't average, enamored with everyday things. It's not that Supernaturally isn't a good book; it simply didn't stand out from the rest of the paranormal-involving books my daughter has read and shared with me. I'm still looking forward to reading the third book, but not as much as I was after reading the first.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell