Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) - Rae Carson Rae Carson's The Girl of Fire and Thorns had a huge amount of buzz when it first came out and quickly went on my list of things to read as soon as I could. The story itself seems amazing: young girl in a fantasy world was chosen at birth by God to do something special, only she doesn't know what it is. At 16, she's married off to the King of a country that's facing a war, and once there she learns that the special kind of magic that comes with her gift is also a curse: there are those who would use her for evil.My biggest problem with the book is that Elisa, the heroine, is just unlikeable for much of the book. Carson has made her overweight, which normally I would be cheering in this age of young adult heroines with stick figures and pretty gowns on the cover, but Elisa hates herself, and eats to comfort herself. Throughout the beginning of the story, she's a whining, self-deprecating lump, ad it's only after she loses weight that she begins to accept her role in the world and try to become a person of action.Is that a lesson I want my daughter to read?The world-building was excellent, and while it's been described as Spanish-based in some reviews, with the lushness and accompanying dessert, I took it to be Mexican-based, and some of the world-building did remind me of Laura Esquivel's Like Water for Chocolate. Elisa's eventual pride in herself and acceptance of her role at all costs is terrific, but that so much of it seemed based on her weight and appearance and initial self-loathing as a result really undermined my enjoyment of the book, and willingness to put it on my daughter's Kindle.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell