Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Guardian of the Night - Linda Thomas-Sundstrom There are two things it's probably obvious from my Goodreads shelves that I'm a sucker for: vampires and romances. Put them together in one book and it's likely I'm going to love it, so when I had the chance to read Linda Thomas-Sundstrom's Guardian of the Night (fourth in her series of full-length novels and novellas) through NetGalley, I jumped at the chance.Faith James is a newly minted surgeon with a younger sister, Hope, she's raised since the two were orphaned when Faith was 20. When Hope disappears during a tour of France, Faith takes off to find her, with the name of a reclusive man who's had some success in finding missing people: Mason LanVal. LanVal, however, isn't exactly human, although he isn't exactly a vampire as we know them, and his legend ties into Arthurian legend, which should have had me at Holy Grail.Faith gets caught in a trap (literally), and LanVal takes her to the only place he knows she will get the care to save her life: the Weres. Naturally, Faith isn't exactly human herself (trope: latent supernatural abilities activate!) and we learn that LanVal and Faith's attraction (trope: insta-love, my least favorite) is forbidden on so many levels you may need a scorecard.Still, there could have been a great story here: forbidden love, sister lost in the forest, a force for good gone bad (this is why LanVal was in the forest to find Faith in the first place, ostensibly), but for the unedited over-writing. There is so much repetition here that I felt like most of the main characters' interactions with each other were really in their own internal monologues. Oh, woe is me! I can't be with her because... Then LanVal would devolve into a rehash of his past, how he got to where he is, and everything about the story so far. Or Faith would be all Woe! Where could he be? Why is he not with me? and go through a similar devolution into a recap of how she got to wherever she is in the story complete with "This can't be real" interjections. The repetition felt like a game of "I'm going on a picnic."In other words, the characters had very little time together and WAY too much time alone with their own thoughts. To their detriment. By the time the book reaches its conclusion, I honestly had no investment in whether they ended up together, even though it was a foregone conclusion, even with the hoops the author had to jump through plot-wise to get them together in order to circumvent her own canon.Overall, it was a disappointing read, because you could see the glimmer of a great romance in here, but it somehow got lost in over-writing and lack of situations where the main characters could have actually had some conflict outside their own heads.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell