Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life - Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim is your average, 23-year-old hipster: he's "between jobs," in an admittedly crappy rock band, and has a girlfriend who's still in high school and is just progressing to the point of kissing boys. Then he meets delivery girl Ramona Flowers, a New York transplant to Scott's hometown of Toronto, and his entire world does a 180, because Ramona comes with a set of evil exes who want to do Scott in.Most people are familiar with the set-up of Scott Pilgrim after the movie version, and the first graphic novel in Bryan Lee O'Malley's series, Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life is being reissued this fall.The characters still stand up as well today as they did back when the story was first published; most of us can identify with the immature and often annoying Scott; his acerbic gay roommate Wallace; his bandmates; and his ridiculously sheltered girlfriend, Knives Chau, who begins the story as far more childish than her 17 years. Some of the plot points are a bit dated (like the idea that anyone would not know what Amazon.ca was or how to get there online), but overall, for a contemporary-based comic story, it's held up well.The new edition includes bits of trivia about the movie, as well as shots of the Toronto-area locations O'Malley based many of the places in the story on.Personally, I discovered the one place I cannot make the transition to ebooks as a result of receiving a copy of this e-galley from NetGalley: graphic novels. The format hasn't made a good transition to digital, and I struggled with the Adobe Reader to get the sizing big enough to see the details in the drawings (especially important for this comic, because as fans of the series know, Scott's band's songs can appear in tiny print between panels), and I was left feeling like I was poring over a newspaper with a magnifying glass rather than having a seamless reading experience. When the reissues start coming out this fall, this is one book I'll be back to buying in hardcover versions.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell