Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
The Arctic Incident - Eoin Colfer In celebration of the 10th and final Artemis Fowl book being released this year, Disney/Hyperion is offering NetGalley members a chance to read from the beginning, with two books a month offered for reading and reviewing before the release of the 10th book. This month, I was able to read Artemis Fowl as well as Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident.::: The Plot :::Artemis Fowl is back, and this time, he thinks he may have found his father. Missing and presumed dead after his ship was attacked by the Russian Mafiya, Artemis Fowl, Sr. has been gone for years. Artemis has a plan to get him back, but he's going to need help, and due to internecine war in the fairy world, he teams up with his former nemesis, Holly, to save the fairy world as well as try to rescue his dad.::: Pacing Is an Issue :::Colfer had a number of things to accomplish in Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident, including getting Artemis and his former enemies on the same side. I had a hard time getting into this book, while I breezed right through the first one, and I wonder if my kids will have the same issue. My oldest read this series a few years ago, but the boys are just at the age where this will be perfect, so it's definitely a concern. There's action, but it seems like it's not as much action, and a lot of back story in this one, when you'd think it would have been the opposite: less action in the first book while world-building was going on.When we finally reach the climax of Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident, it seems like so much is happening at once after a long, dragged-out conflict, that it's difficult to know what's going on all the time. A few times I got lost and had to backtrack a few paragraphs, and considering I'm an adult reading a middle-grade book, that has me just a little concerned about younger readers. It was still a fun read, and I'm looking forward to the next two books being released next month on NetGalley.This review originally appeared on Epinions.com: http://www.epinions.com/review/Book_The_Arctic_Incident/content_582412308100

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell