Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer The 10th and final Artemis Fowl book is coming out this year, and in celebration, Disney/Hyperion is offering NetGalley members access to the previous nine books in two-book special editions. This month, Artemis Fowl is one of the two books, and rather than root through my kids' piles of books to find the first two books in the series, I got access to the first two in e-book format to see why my oldest was so addicted to Eoin Colfer and whether I should talk the boys into reading them.::: The Plot :::Artemis Fowl is a criminal genius. He also happens to be a 12-year-old boy who is all but orphaned. Accompanied by his bodyguard-cum-assistant Butler and Butler's teen sister Juliet, Artemis sets out to kidnap a fairy for the purposes of obtaining fairy gold in order to restore his family's fortune and hopefully help his mother, who has had a nervous breakdown after his father disappeared. Artemis manages to kidnap the fairy, but things don't go exactly as planned.::: Fun Romp With a Message :::I seem to have been running into a lot of fairy books lately, and the majority of them portray the fey as evil, or at best, mischievous. Colfer turns it around, with fairies maybe being the good ones, and humanity, with its lack of environmental awareness, being the bad guys. Artemis is a criminal genius, but he's one with a conscience, which bodes well for the rest of the series for me. This is definitely a series designed with boys in mind, from the cool weapons to the hijinks (OMG, did I really use that word?) Artemis and company get up to. My daughter was also addicted before she moved on to the likes of vampires and young adult romance, but I can see my boys reading these books.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell