Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Flowers in the Attic - V.C. Andrews I can't even bring myself to put Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews on my YA shelf because the thought of any young adult ever reading it (or anyone ever again, for that matter) gives me the heebity bejeebies.In this book, the start of a horror show that lasted for many of us of a certain age for years, four children -- Chris, Cathy, and five-year-old twins Cory and Carrie -- are forced to move with their mother to live with grandparents they have never met after their father dies. Once there, they are forced to live in an attic FOR YEARS because their mother was actually the half-niece of their father.The resulting years include horrible abuse, puberty, rape, incest, and the murder of Cory before the remaining three children finally escape.The idea that we read this hot mess as teens and preteens really has me wondering how an entire generation of girls wasn't completely rendered insane. Say what you want about the definitely unhealthy and codependent relationship in Twilight; at least those two weren't brother and sister and didn't start out with a rape. (Now that I think about it, we also had the disturbing example of Luke and Laura on general hospital. WHAT WERE THEY TEACHING US????)Avoid. At all costs. And give anyone you know who read this (and the umpteen sequels) a sympathetic hug.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell