Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.

Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1)

Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1) - Scott Tracey Honestly, were it not for the recommendation of a friend, I'd never have picked up Scott Tracey's Witch Eyes; the plot didn't seem that out of the ordinary. Boy with super-witchy powers has a vision that the uncle who's served as his guardian will be harmed if he stays with him, so he hies off to the own of Belle Dam, which is divided along loyalty lines between two very old witch families a la the Hatfields and McCoys.Braden is the witch boy at the center of this story, and he has to learn to use his powers in order to save the town from dark magic. Problems arise, though, when he finds out he's the son of the head of one of the infamous families... and in love with the son of the other. The coolest thing about Witch Eyes for me was that it wasn't some Big Gay Paranormal YA book. Braden was gay, and while it was addressed by some of the characters in the book, it wasn't the focal point. It just was. It's refreshing to see LGBT characters appearing as main characters in YA where their sexuality isn't the focal point and is just another facet to their characters, as it is here.In terms of a paranormal story, Witch Eyes is engaging, and the storyline is unique enough that you don't feel as if you've read it before, even if you've read an unhealthy number of paranormal YA books. ::cough:: As maybe I have ::cough:: I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in this series.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell