Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.

Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger There's not much more disappointing than scoring a used copy of a book that's been on your TBR list for ages -- in hardcover -- and having it be less than expected, but that's what happened with Audrey Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry.::: The Plot :::Identical twins Edwina and Elspeth have been estranged for years. When Elspeth dies, she leaves all her money and her London apartment to Edie's identical twin (actually mirror twin) daughters: Julia and Valentina, with the conditions that they never allow their parents into the apartment, and that the girls live in it for a year before they can sell it. The twins, who lead a strange and symbiotic life seemingly devoid of outsiders, jump at the chance to move to London, where they encounter Robert, the lover Elspeth left behind; Martin, the OCD-afflicted neighbor who's been left by his wife; and the volunteer staff of the cemetery their building backs up to.The twins struggle to adjust to life in London and how their codependence works for them (or doesn't), while it seems Elspeth may not be as gone as they thought.::: Ghosts, Too? This Should Have Been Awesome! :::I loved The Time Traveler's Wife, even though I generally hate time travel books in general. The idea that Niffenegger was going to take one of my favorite tropes: identical twins, especially creepy identical twins, and have at it, was thrilling. Unfortunately, the whole thing just goes off the rails somewhere. There are two big exciting reveals: One is fairly obvious, and confusing even in it's obviousness; and the other is so obvious you can see it coming from a mile away. Even those would be excusable if it weren't for two other flaws: an ending that seems rushed (which seems to be the theme with books I'm reading this week) and leaves too many things unresolved, and a subplot that doesn't really seem to serve much of a purpose other than filling out the requisite number of pages. I stayed up late to read the ending because I wanted to see how Niffenegger was going to tie everything together, but I was left wanting to throw the book, because even when you see big plot points coming, sometimes they still aren't resolved to any decent satisfaction, or according to any rules.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell