Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood - Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood is without a doubt one of the most unique stories I have ever read. Part autobiography and part graphic novel, it tells the story of a child growing up during an era of Iran's history that many of us know only from the outside.::: Background :::Marjane Satrapi, the author, was the great-granddaughter of the last Emperor of Iran. Brought up by her liberal-thinking parents, and receiving a French education in Tehran, where they live, Satrapi begins her story at the age of nine, as the beginnings of the Iranian revolution are in full swing. Her parents are for the revolution until they see the changes coming with the fundamentalists who take over the government.::: The Book :::Satrapi shows us through the eyes of a child, and then an adolescent, the changes that take place in her country. We see her resistance, and her mother's, to wearing the veil dictated by the new regime. We see through her eyes protests, as well as friends and family who are jailed and executed. She also shows us her parents' hopes for Iran, and her own confusion as her parents' hopes are dashed time and time again.The illustrations are a simple black and white, providing a starkness that adds to the situations that no young girl should have to face. It also provides the backdrop of a graphic novel, but not in the traditional comic-book stylings of many graphic novels. Instead, it gives more prominence to the story.Lest you think that there is only bleakness in Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, there are still traces of humor. Her parents' a gift for laughing in the dark, and her own childish antics and attempts at understanding the events that are going on around her give Satrapi the ability to keep the book from becoming too heavy and dark.::: The Next Book :::As events escalate in Iran and Satrapi gets older, her parents make a decision that will change all their lives, and that is where the story ends, to be continued in Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return.I was fascinated by the insider's look at the revolution and subsequent events in Iran. Being almost the same age as Satrapi, the book was especially riveting, as these were stories I remember from the news as I was growing up, and seeing it from the perspective of someone who was the same age I was at the time makes what is now history for me a much more personal experience. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the next book so that I can continue with Satrapi's story. This review previously published at Epinions: http://www.epinions.com/review/Persepolis_by_Marjane_Satrapi/content_158992404100

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell