Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.

I Hunt Killers

I Hunt Killers - I was lucky enough to hear Barry Lyga read from I Hunt Killers at the Rochester Teen Book Festival this year, which was when I picked up the book for my daughter.At its core, the book is about Jasper "Jazz" Dent, a 17-year-old boy who's the son of one of the country's most notorious serial killers. Jasper lives with his widowed and senile grandmother, after having an upbringing where dad's version of "Take Your Child to Work Day" meant taking him along when he was on his murder spree. When it appears another serial killer has come to Jazz's town, he's determined to help the police with what he knows about serial killers from his lessons at his father's knee, aided by his girlfriend and his best friend. But the police don't want his help, and the murderer may be more interested in Jazz than Jazz is in him.I Hunt Killers isn't a perfect book, but it was a five-star book for me, because it's a book I wish I'd had when I was a tween/teen. I was the kid sneaking my father's King and Koontz off the shelves and scaring myself silly with a flashlight under the covers reading that stuff, and would have been thrilled to have this book back then: just a little taken off the top for a younger sensibility, with a hero I could identify with instead of the adult protagonists. Reading I Hunt Killers took me back to those hot summer nights I'd stay up all night, with the batteries slowly dying and the flashlight getting dimmer and dimmer while I kept reading to find out who the killer really was. Sure, when I was reading this book, I was fairly certain I knew who it was early on. But my daughter read it, and she was surprised in the end, and said she couldn't put it down, deeming it a "page-turner." I'm a grown-up. She's the target audience. She found it delightfully creepy, and a thriller. And she doesn't have to sneak it off my shelf.As a side note, hearing Lyga read the father's voice makes the book creepy even for grown-ups. I highly recommend going to a signing/reading if you can.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell