Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
The Coming Storm - Rob Kidd, Jean-Paul Orpinas Knowing that I was in for a struggle trying to keep my five-year-old, Buster, interested in being read to for 20 minutes a day this summer, we headed off to get him a few books that might hold his attention. I was pleased to see that a newish line of books about a teenage Jack Sparrow were available, so I got him the first in the series: Jack Sparrow: The Coming Storm by Rob Kidd.::: Becoming a Captain :::Jack Sparrow: The Coming Storm introduces us to Jack before he's the drunk pirate we know from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, when he is a 15-year-old boy. Caught stealing a bag in a pub one night, he meets the pub owner's daughter Arabella, and soon enlists her help as well as a few others they meet along the way. Jack, you see, is looking for the Sword of Cortes, a mythical sword that, when reunited with its scabbard, gives its holder untold power.::: No, He Isn't Drunk :::I'll admit I was a bit dubious at the thought of Jack Sparrow as the hero in a children's book. Even in this book's recommended age bracket of the middle-school set, I'd be wary of a drunken, carousing pirate being someone I'd encourage kids to read about in a series.I was pleasantly surprised, however. While the Jack Sparrow character in Jack Sparrow: The Coming Storm (and I'm assuming the rest of the series) isn't exactly angelic, he displays all of the good heart that the movie Jack does with none of the more adult characteristics.The book is interspersed with illustrations credited only to "Disney" and they came just often enough to keep Buster motivated. All are done in pen and ink and add a visual assist to some of the more complicated plot points. It's definitely not geared toward younger readers, but as a read-aloud chapter books we read over the course of several nights, it was a hit, and my seven-year-old grabbed it and read it as well.Overall, Jack Sparrow: The Coming Storm is a great start to what promises to be just the series the children's genre has been missing, appealing to boys and girls alike who are looking for more daring adventures that don't involve wizards.This review previously published on Epinions: http://www.epinions.com/review/Book_The_Adventures_of_Jack_Sparrow_The_Coming_Storm_Rob_Kidd_2/content_390427020932

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell