Second Bookses

It's like second breakfast. Only with books.
Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 5) - J.R. Ward I've reviewed four of J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood (BDB) books so far, and in each review, I have begged you all for help in weaning myself off these books. I'm not even sure how many more are left in the box that my friend loaned me, but after finishing Lover Unbound, I'm about to check myself into rehab if I open another one.::: The Plot :::Vishous is a member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, a group of elite vampire warriors who are charged with protecting the rest of their race, a different species that humans are unaware of. The vampires have one mortal enemy: the lessers, former humans who have given up their souls for eternal life and the existence-long charge of killing vampires.Vishous is the son of the Bloodletter, a vicious warrior who trained warriors in a violent camp where vampires fought each other for food and raped the losers of battle. Tortured and disfigured by his own father, Vishous finds a true family with the Brotherhood, but vents his frustrations with BDSM sessions with willing partners.Vishous is charged with saving the warriors race by becoming Primale and marrying the Chosen, forty vampire women who bear sons who are warriors and daughters who take their places. However, one night when out fighting lessers, Vishous is critically injured and taken to a human hospital, where he is saved by Jane, a trauma surgeon.The brothers rescue him, but Vishous demands that the woman come with them, and she's forced to stay in the BDB fortress, a captive who may be falling in love with her captor.::: Seriously. I May Not Have Brain Cells Left Now :::In comparing notes with my friends, Lover Unbound didn't appear on many favorite lists. They found Vishous too dark and not sympathetic enough. These are romance novels, pure and simple, and if you can't identify with the hero, the book is going to fall short.The depictions of the BDSM sex are relatively tame (especially when you compare to the horrors of the Anne Rice mess I still haven't gotten over), and I found Vishous to be adorably flawed. He faces his fate as Primale with resignation, even after he's met and mated with human Jane, and his grief at having to let her go is palpable.What absolutely ruined the book, however, is J.R. Ward's cop-out ending for the book. Without spoiling it (I mean, this is a romance, so you know there will always be a happily ever after), her way of keeping the nearly-immortal vampire together with a human who has a lifespan of under 100 years is so ridiculously out-there (even in a book about vampires) that I was actually angry. Well, more angry than I am that I read these books in the first place.I'm sure I'll read the next book, but after this hot mess, I'm dreading it.This review originally published on Epinions: http://www.epinions.com/review/Book_Lover_Unbound_J_R_Ward/content_516346384004

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell